Main objective of the position:
- Develop, implement and maintain procedures and systems to collate, store and analyze data from Demographic and Health Surveillance Systems (HDSS) in Sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia to enable the investigation of excess all-cause mortality associated with the COVID-19 pandemic
- To achieve this, it will be necessary to work effectively with the data managers and analysts of the relevant HDSS sites.
- Johannesburg with trip to Agincourt – Bushbuckridge (Mpumalanga Province) and African Health Research Institute (AHRI) Field Offices in Mtubatuba, KwaZulu-Natal Province
Key performance areas:
- Write the specifications of the harmonized data sets to be sent in the form of requests to the participating HDSS sites
- Lead, support and develop systems for auditing, cleaning and reporting to HDSS sites on the quality, completeness and integrity of their mortality and cause of death data
- Interact effectively with on-site data managers and contribute to the strengthening of on-site data management systems and capacities
- Create normalized (aggregated) datasets ready for use in cross-site benchmarking
- Develop a version control system to track the most recent versions of data and retrieve versions used for published analyzes
- Document and ensure that harmonized data and transformation procedures used to create analytical datasets can be understood and used by others
- Develop analysis plans
- Perform analysis and contribute to peer-reviewed publications and technical reports, including as lead author
Minimum education and training required:
- At least a Master’s degree in statistics/biostatistics/epidemiology/demography/data analysis/bioinformatics/data science/computer science or other highly quantitative and computational field
- A PhD degree will be advantageous
Minimum professional experience required:
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in data management and analysis
- Work experience in a low- or middle-income country
Additional education, work experience and personal abilities desirable:
- Experience in processing and analyzing large complex longitudinal datasets
- Demonstrated knowledge and background in statistics, and proficiency in a statistical software package (STATA, SAS, R) for importing, manipulating and analyzing large data sets
- Experience in managing relational databases
- Working knowledge of SQL (i.e. ability to write queries that involve joining tables, aggregating functions, updating and inserting into existing tables)
- Academic writing and publishing experience
- Team player able to work in a high performance collaborative environment and support scientific research in all disciplines
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English
- Ability to prioritize and work under pressure on a variety of tasks simultaneously
- Only if you meet the minimum job requirements and experience mentioned above can you submit a detailed and updated CV.
- Please apply online and complete your registration on Ditto Hire (our Applicant Tracking System) to enable and protect you as a candidate. to accept the new general conditions of POPIA. This will then create your permanent profile with which you can apply for all jobs advertised by AJ PERSONNEL. However, you can delete your PERSONAL AJ profile when you are no longer on the job market.
- AJ Personnel is fully POPIA compliant.
- Please note that candidates who do not meet the above criteria will not be considered for the respective position.
- Deadline for all applications: April 04, 2022.
- Wits Health Consortium will only respond to shortlisted candidates.
- Applicants who have not been contacted within two weeks of the closing date may consider their application unsuccessful.
- Note WHC, in accordance with its employment equity objectives and plan, will give preference to suitable applicants from designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998 as amended later.
- AJ Personnel is solely responsible for advertising the advertisement on behalf of its client Wits Health Consortium.
- AJ Personnel has no salary or other information regarding the position.
About the employer:
With funding from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the MRC/Wits Rural Public Health and Health Transitions Research Unit (Agincourt), with DSI/MRC-SAPRIN, is conducting research to study trends in mortality and excess all-cause mortality associated with the COVID -19 pandemic in sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia using data organized by the Health and Demographic Surveillance Systems (HDSS).
Find out more/Apply to this position