The precursor SKA MeerKAT is a 64-dish radio interferometer located in South Africa, inaugurated in 2018. In the transition to full scientific operations, many exciting discoveries have already been made with MeerKAT. Alongside a strong science program, the development of new capabilities and improved performance of the telescope continues. As part of building the science operations team, SARAO is looking to employ data analysts.
- Provide quality assurance and quality control of telescope data products Maintain telescope calibration Provide user support through the SARAO external helpdesk
- MSc in Radio Astronomy or related discipline
- Experience in radio astronomy data reduction and analysis (experience with MeerKAT would be beneficial), or knowledge of MeerKAT operationsAbility to program in C/Python/shell scriptsLinux operating systemsWriting technical reportsData analysis
- radio astronomy reduction softwareradio telescope systemsstatistical data analysis techniques
The NRF website provides more details on initiatives and activities
Candidates must submit a full CV by registering and applying online through the NRF Recruitment and Selection Portal.
Applications should be accompanied by a cover letter indicating the candidate’s suitability for the position.
The names and contact details of at least three arbitrators must be provided.
- Skills in the field of application of the position
- Knowledge to be relevant
- Responsible in the performance of duties
About the employer:
The National Research Foundation (NRF) supports and promotes research and human capital development through funding, the provision of national research facilities and science outreach platforms and programs to the wider community in all fields of science and technology, including natural sciences, engineering and social sciences. and human sciences.
The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) spearheads South Africa’s activities under the Square Kilometer Array Radio Telescope, commonly referred to as SKA, in engineering, science and building. SARAO is a national facility operated by the National Research Foundation and integrates radio astronomy instruments and programs such as the MeerKAT and KAT-7 telescopes in the Karoo, the Hartebeesthoek Radio Astronomy Observatory (HartRAO) in Gauteng, the African Very Long Baseline Interferometry (AVN) in nine African countries and associated human capital development and commercialization efforts.
Find out more/Apply to this position