Data Analyst at Safire Insurance
The main responsibilities of the position include:
Business / Understanding of data:
- Examine and understand Safire’s activities and processes.
- Analyze and interpret all current data.
- Engage in active listening to determine data needs.
- Perform data cleaning and structuring to ensure quality data entries.
- Organize data in the best possible way for regular and ad-hoc report outputs.
- Determine all data modeling requirements needed to run regular and ad-hoc reports.
- Test all data requirements before finalizing any form of report.
Evaluation and presentation:
- Document the procedures required for all established regular reporting outputs.
- Analyze, interpret and make sense of data.
- Develop recommendations based on analysis, interpretation and reporting.
The qualifications and experience we are looking for:
- 3 years in a data analyst or related role.
- Grade 12/Matric (math/math literacy is a requirement).
- Related tertiary qualification (mathematics, statistics, economics, finance, data analysis or computer science).
- Advanced/super user experience with Excel (executing complex operations, exposure to power pivots and power query).
- Experience manipulating large datasets using SQL or MS Access.
- Experience with data visualization and BI tools and techniques such as MS Power BI, SAS, Tableau, Qlik, etc.
- Exposure to other data analysis tools (beneficial).
The skills we need are:
- Meticulous work according to standards with great attention to detail.
- Proficiency in data visualization, analysis, problem solving, negotiation and influencing.
- Strong business acumen.
- Common sense and logical reasoning are required.
- Proficiency in the MS Office suite.
- Mastery of data analysis tools.
The type of personality that will excel in our team:
- Act ethically and respectfully in all situations.
- Very organized and delivering work on time and to the highest standards.
- Build strong and consistent relationships with various stakeholders.
- Can work under pressure and with a sense of urgency and confidence.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must be a team player and enjoy working together.
Please note that by expressing interest and applying for the advertised opportunity, the candidate understands and agrees that they are providing their personal information for the purpose of possible employment. Any information provided to Safire Insurance Company Ltd (“Safire”) is provided voluntarily and therefore constitutes specific and voluntary consent to the processing of such information. Your personal information will be processed for:
- Facilitate your application for a job at Safire;
- Perform various reference/background checks;
- The legitimate interest of Safire and/or yourself, both during the recruitment process and afterwards; and
- Any legal or regulatory compliance (if applicable).
You have the right to request access to and correction of your personal information. Subject to the requirements of applicable South African law, you may, at any time, request Safire to cease processing your personal information and/or request Safire to delete and/or anonymize such personal information.
Safire is an equal opportunity employer. The nomination of candidates is at the sole discretion of Safire. An application will not entitle the candidate to an interview or an appointment. Only selected candidates will be contacted. If you do not hear from us within 2 weeks of the closing date of this job posting, please consider your application unsuccessful.
- Power Excel User
- Microsoft Power BI
- Data cleaning
- business intelligence tools
- Data quality
- Business acumen
- Business Analytics
- Problem solving
- Data manipulation
- Data analysis
- Data Extraction
- Report writing
- business logic
- MS Office suite
- Power Pivots
- Power Request
- Attention to detail
About the employer:
Safire Insurance Company Limited is a short term insurer, headquartered in Pietermaritzburg, Kwa-Zulu Natal. Founded in 1987, Safire began as an innovative timber insurance cooperative, developed specifically for low-risk private timber producers in South Africa. From our successful beginnings as forest insurers, Safire has expanded its product line to include a wide range of short-term insurance options designed to meet the needs and demands of our customers.
Safire is an energetic, successful and values-driven company. We are proud to be different because our differences set us apart. We have an incredible team of nearly 200 employees who each play a vital role within our business. In support of our business philosophies, our staff are carefully selected as knowledgeable and insightful experts in their respective fields. In return, we offer an exceptional corporate culture based on communication, achievement, knowledge, teamwork and collaboration.
Safire offers an excellent opportunity for those who wish to change their lifestyle. Set amidst the green and peaceful foothills of the Kwa-Zulu Natal Midlands, one can enjoy a family and country lifestyle that provides access to some of the best schools in South Africa.
Find out more/Apply to this position