Data Analyst, Rooted in Trust Yemen – Yemen
ABOUT THE PROJECT
The Rooted in Trust project works to counter rumors and misinformation about COVID-19 in Afghanistan, Lebanon, Iraq, Colombia, Brazil, Mali, Democratic Republic of Congo, Zimbabwe, Sudan, South Sudan, Haiti, Yemen and Madagascar. We work to create impact locally and inform approaches to rumor management globally. The project is supported by a global technical advisory team made up of experts in media, humanitarian, data science and information management.
During Phase 1 of the project, we collected over 19,000 rumors in 14 languages and supported over 30 local trusted information providers. In this critical phase of the pandemic, we will build on these efforts to listen to and respond to the information challenges faced by vulnerable groups in humanitarian settings, encouraging open dialogue between citizens and scientists and stronger partnerships. and more collaborative between information providers (such as the media) and humanitarian and health sources.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Data Analyst (DA) is responsible for disputing qualitative and quantitative data from rumors and working to find trends and insights that help us better understand community perceptions about the pandemic and vaccines. The DA will support partners and/or team members to ensure that qualitative data is collected in a consistent and continuous manner and to analyze feedback with a focus on the concerns, fears and hopes that are source of rumors and feed misinformation. The DA will support the Internews team and partners to counter misinformation and provide information for feedback reports to humanitarian partners at country and regional levels to inform decision-making and improve information delivery with timely, locally relevant and reliable information that people trust.
This is a remote position. Preference will be given to applicants with demonstrable knowledge of the Yemeni context. You must have work authorization in your current location that does not require Internews sponsorship. Additionally, there are locations where Internews is unable to support fully remote working.
Wherever possible, we strive to find international recruitment solutions that work for both the company and the candidate. This means that certain details regarding the offer of a position will depend on several factors, and that the benefits and salary structure that apply to a position will be based on the candidate’s location and where the position is hired. .
To note: Hiring for this position is dependent on receipt of funding.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so applicants are encouraged to apply early.
This is a fixed-term position with an expected end date of January 2023.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven people who are passionate about our core values and committed to supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and we work to uphold an ethic of belonging, dignity and justice for all. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations, and socio-economic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage applicants of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities and national backgrounds to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
DAILY TASKS will include:
- Lead the analysis of rumor data collected by partner organizations and identify trends that may impact public health outcomes;
- Support the collection of feedback by Internews staff and partners by evaluating methodology and suggesting improvements where necessary;
- Gather, cleanse and analyze data collected by Internews and partner organizations through community engagement activities such as call-in radio shows, social media interactions, face-to-face interactions, including those frontline humanitarian workers, media and other channels deemed relevant.
- Contribute to the production of regular reports on rumors and feedback for humanitarian, media and health partners to improve their understanding of the concerns and questions of the affected population;
- Work alongside and collaborate with researchers, journalists and humanitarian communicators;
- Contribute to the editorial process by providing regular updates to the content creator and content production team on recurring or emerging topics and trends;
- Support monitoring and evaluation activities to assess the impact, reach and quality of the ongoing project;
- Perform any other tasks assigned by supervisors;
- Understanding and demonstration of commitment to Internews core values.
QUALIFICATIONS WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Solid experience in qualitative data analysis, research and information management in rapidly changing humanitarian contexts and with variable data sets;
- Experience and/or understanding of sentiment analysis and/or social media listening tools an asset;
- Data visualization skills and knowledge of relevant software to produce infographics is a plus;
- Solid understanding of the humanitarian system to ensure that data collection (Kobo, ODK) and provision adheres to core humanitarian standards and that information can be obtained in a timely manner among partners in the field;
- Strong writing skills and ability to bring data to life;
- Experience working in humanitarian and/or health emergencies;
- Fluency in English and relevant local languages;
- Solid understanding and commitment to the editorial values of the project;
- Motivation and ability to work in a fast-paced environment;
- Solid understanding and commitment to the editorial values of the project.
To note: Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but who are interested and eager to learn, are encouraged to apply.
- Fluency in Arabic is an asset
- Awareness and familiarity with the issues and dynamics of the COVID-19 pandemic and/or other health crises in humanitarian contexts, a strong asset
How to register
To apply, please send a CV and possibly a cover letter via our careers page.