A fast-growing retail analytics technology company in Joburg is looking for a critical-thinking data scientist who is passionate about creating value in large datasets, especially when faced with complex problems and willing to work in a fast-growing collaborative big data environment. Your primary role will be to interpret data, analyze results using statistical techniques, and provide ongoing reporting. You will also research and develop modeling techniques, perform SQL queries and implement effective data management approaches. You should have a degree in Computer Science/Statistics/Mathematics/Operations Research or a similar discipline with other courses/certifications/professional affiliations, have 3-5 years of work experience in a similar role and with Big Data platforms and be able to design and develop machines. Learning models. You should also be proficient in the MS Office suite, be able to understand data modeling, data architecture and ETL/ELT processes and analyze large amounts of data (terabyte sized datasets) .
- Interpret data, analyze results using statistical techniques and provide ongoing reports.
- Implement systems for data collection, data analysis and other strategies that optimize the efficiency and quality of statistics.
- Acquire data from primary or secondary data sources and maintain data systems.
- Identify, analyze and interpret trends or patterns in complex data sets.
- Filter and identify data cleansing rules by reviewing IT reports, printouts, and performance metrics to locate and fix code issues.
- Interpret business data requirements.
- Locate and define new process improvement opportunities.
- Ad hoc reporting based on business needs (SQL query).
- Reporting and BI development.
- Involvement in engaging with clients to understand their business challenges and advise them on practical analytics solutions.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders across the data value chain, which will include client departments as well as internal business departments to ensure the right data sources and data structures are in place to build solutions analysis.
- Research, implement and develop appropriate modeling techniques to produce models as needed to add business value.
- Effectively and effectively communicate findings and insights to key decision makers.
- Keep up to date with the latest technology trends.
- Create client presentations/visualizations.
- Experiment and select the best combination of data science analysis tools to complement our Big Data platform or fit for a specific purpose.
- Provide mentorship to existing team members on data mining and data science methodologies.
- Have a keen interest in providing accurate data analytics.
- Implement effective data management approaches that ensure data accuracy and consistency.
- Follow proper processes to ensure prompt and correct action in resolving queries.
- Anticipate and identify new analytical trends/data needs and repeatable analytical solutions.
- Identify opportunities for innovative use of data to provide strategic and operational insights to businesses.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Statistics/Mathematics/Operational Research/similar.
- Complementary courses, certifications, professional affiliations.
- Minimum 3 to 5 years of relevant professional experience in a similar role.
- Ability to collect, organize, analyze and disseminate information.
- Competent in resolving data queries, writing reports and presenting results.
- Design and develop Machine Learning models.
- With Big Data platforms.
- Data management and integration.
- Experience with cloud services.
- Project management skills.
- Able to understand data modeling, data architecture and ETL/ELT processes.
- Experience in analyzing large amounts of data (terabyte-sized datasets).
- Ability to derive actionable insights from data.
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Experience in retail, FMCG, e-commerce and business analytics.
- Microsoft Azure experience.
- Python and/or R.
- Power BI, Tableau, Qlik, Cognos, etc.
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Willingness to learn and grow.
- Attention to detail and precision.
- Confidence to interact with technical and non-technical personnel at all seniority levels in organizations and at customers.
- Excellent problem definition and problem solving skills.
- Able to think on your feet and take initiative.
- A team player with a professional attitude.
- A self-starter with an inquisitive nature and exceptional time management skills.
- Ability to work under pressure.
Although we would love to respond to every application, if you are not contacted for this position within 10 business days, please consider your application unsuccessful.
When applying for a job, make sure you meet the minimum job requirements. OnlySouth African citizens will be considered for this role. If you are not at the stated location of any of the jobs, please note your relocation plans in all job applications and correspondence. Please email a word copy of your CV to [Email Address Removed] and mention the reference numbers of the works. We have a job listing on [URL Removed] Datafin IT Recruitment – Jobs in Cape Town.
Find out more/Apply to this position