A renowned financial services group is seeking the expertise of a highly meticulous, solution-oriented Data Scientist who will participate in data architecture and engineering decision-making to support downstream analytics. Your role will also involve the development and application of statistical models, data mining on various datasets while providing complex risk analysis to provide management with business insights and recommendations. The successful incumbent should possess a graduate degree in Mathematics/Computer Science/Statistics or any other quantitative discipline and data science (graduate degree) (preferred qualification (in addition to the minimum). You will also need a in-depth knowledge and application of – Probability and statistics, advanced analytical languages, big data tools, machine learning techniques and prior experience in data analysis and model development, preferably in a banking context.
- Demonstrate an integrated understanding of the company’s value proposition and value chain (customers, products and competitors) by presenting clear business cases and best practices for the Bank’s data initiatives in response to the changing business circumstances and requirements.
- Understand and assess environmental interdependencies, impacts and opportunities (national and global) on the implementation of data goals.
- Consider and integrate relevant macro factors into data analysis plans and make adjustments and improvements to data capabilities.
- Participate in data architecture and engineering decision making to support downstream analysis.
- Develop and apply statistical models to collect, organize and summarize data to derive insights/trends for business stakeholders.
- Perform ad hoc exploratory statistics and data mining tasks on various datasets, from small scale to big data.
- Enable data analytics best practices to enable knowledge sharing within the stakeholder community.
- Provide users with collaborative analytical tools to enable business insights and rapid issue resolution.
- Develop and validate predictive modeling and machine learning approaches that enable stakeholders to preemptively determine best-fit business tactics. This includes studying data visualization and synthesis techniques to convey key data.
- Provide complex risk analysis to provide management with business insights and recommendations, e.g. growth strategies, debt management, better risk/return relationships and portfolio performance.
- Collaborate with commercial teams to support strategic commercial choices and investment decisions. This includes communication opportunities, financial and process trade-offs from advanced statistical methods.
- Apply project management methodology to effectively manage numerous data projects that cross functional areas. This includes implementing change management practices to ensure any changes are understood and project objectives are met.
- Graduate degree in mathematics, computer science, statistics or any other quantitative discipline.
- Data Science (graduate degree) (preferred qualification (in addition to minimum).
Thorough knowledge and application of –
- Probability and statistics.
- Advanced analytical languages.
- Big Data tools.
- Machine learning techniques.
- Previous experience with data analysis and model development in a banking context (preferred).
- Knowledge of banking environment and products.
- Analysis and attention to detail.
- Global thinking.
- Orientation towards conduct and results.
- Problem solving.
- Orientation towards customer service.
- Build relationships.
Although we would really like to respond to every application, if you are not contacted for this position within 10 working days, please consider your application unsuccessful.
When applying for a job, make sure you meet the minimum job requirements. OnlySouth African citizens will be considered for this role. If you are not at the stated location of any of the jobs, please note your relocation plans in all job applications and correspondence. Please email a word copy of your CV to [Email Address Removed] and mention the reference numbers of the works. We have a job listing on [URL Removed] Datafin IT Recruitment – Jobs in Cape Town.
Find out more/Apply to this position