Data Scientist job at American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
The American Speech-Language-Hearing Association requires all new employees to show proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 when they start work. Currently, “fully vaccinated” is defined as someone who received both doses of the Pfizer/Moderna COVID-19 vaccines or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine 14 days or more before starting work. People with a disability or a religious reason preventing them from getting vaccinated can request an accommodation.
As a Data Scientist at ASHA, you will help grow ASHA’s data and analytics program with your skills in statistics and machine learning. In this position, you will help ASHA staff establish best practices for creating and using advanced analytical methods to better serve our community of members.
Every day you will…
- Work with an amazing team of data professionals (read: data enthusiasts) to leverage ASHA’s data assets in new and exciting ways
- Interact with ASHA business teams to gather requirements, test models, and deploy results
- Use your ingenuity and creativity to discover and explore analytical approaches for the organization
To thrive in this role, you must…
- Have a passion for finding creative ways to leverage data to answer key association business questions.
- Be comfortable sharing your knowledge and techniques with a data team from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to explain technical analysis approaches and results to non-technical audiences
- Really enjoy the tacos and cakes (inside joke…we’ll explain in the interview)
As a Data Scientist at ASHA, you will help grow ASHA’s data and analytics program with your skills in statistics and machine learning. In this position, you will help ASHA staff establish best practices for creating and using advanced analytics. You will be a key technical expert, manager and accountant leading ASHA’s advanced analytics efforts. This position will partner with Data Analysts, Data Engineers, Business Analysts, and Business Units to deliver solutions that change the way ASHA leverages our data resources.
- Serve as ASHA’s subject matter expert on statistical and machine learning-based approaches for data mining, analytics, modeling, and predictive analytics.
- Work closely with business units within ASHA to understand requirements, develop data projects, create usable models, explain models, leverage insights, and report model performance.
- Serve as a key technical expert for advanced analytics within the Data Analytics team.
- Work closely with team members to identify opportunities to apply new techniques and processes to our existing analytics efforts.
- Partner with ASHA’s Data Architect and Database Developer to compile the data sets needed to support an advanced analytics program.
- Work with stakeholders to plan and engage in timely research (e.g. engagement analytics, personalization, content usage, forecasting membership trends, member segmentation, propensity scoring, etc.) .) promote content and inform ASHA’s strategic planning.
- Provide support and training to ASHA staff on how to use advanced analytical tools and models.
- Lead the exploration of new approaches, tools, techniques, and services for data analytics at ASHA.
Knowledge generally acquired by
- Bachelor’s degree in data science, statistics, mathematics, computer science or other quantitative field expected
- Master’s degree preferred;
- 3 to 5 years of professional experience;
- At least 2 years in an association or a non-profit framework preferably.
Breadth and depth of technical skills/knowledge
- High degree of experience using Python or R to support the development of advanced analytics;
- 3+ years of experience with relational databases and proficiency in SQL for data extraction;
- 3+ years of experience with predictive analytics and statistical modeling;
- 3+ years of experience developing data visualization, including Power BI or Tableau (Power BI preferred);
- Experience with Microsoft Azure environment;
- Ability to create machine learning models at all phases of development, from conception to training, validation, implementation and evaluation;
- Demonstrated track record of delivering high quality analytical work to decision makers;
- A solid foundation in the operational needs of associations and NPOs;
- Demonstrated skills in the MS-Windows and MS-Office environment (MS-Word and MS-Excel);
- Demonstrated ability to write clear and precise technical documentation.
Breadth and depth of soft skills/knowledge
- Analytical and technical problem-solving skills;
- Attention to detail and concern for data quality and stewardship;
- Passion for providing data-driven analysis and recommendations;
- Curiosity around new and emerging data analytics solutions;
- Ability to easily adapt to changing priorities;
- Strong teamwork skills;
- Strong oral communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to quickly learn new software applications;
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and document user needs;
- Demonstrated ability to translate user requirements into program specifications.