Data Scientist job at TIMES HIGHER EDUCATION
The World University Insights Ltd, publisher of Times Higher Education, is the data provider that underpins academic excellence on every continent of the world. As the company behind the world’s most influential university rankings and with nearly five decades of experience as a source of analysis and insight into higher education, we have unrivaled expertise on trends that underpin university performance globally. Our data and benchmarking tools are used by many of the world’s most prestigious universities to help them achieve their strategic goals.
This is a great opportunity to help deliver on our ambitious growth plans by creating analytics to underpin our consulting engagements, as well as supporting rankings, products, editorial and events. You will help create and maintain consulting data assets and provide analytics to consultants for their projects with external clients, all in a fast-paced work environment. You will have access to subject matter experts across the organization. The successful candidate will have the aptitude, attitude and seriousness to take on this role. The focus is on learning-by-doing, you will work within a data science team of 7 people with over 90 years of data science experience who will be there to support your growth.
For more information on Times Higher Education, please visit http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk.
For more information on how we handle your data, please visit https://www.timeshighereducation.com/content/candidate-privacy-notice
Key Duties and Responsibilities
THE is looking for a full-time Data Scientist who wants to roll up their sleeves and help create data consulting solutions; they will help provide our suite of rankings and products.
You will be primarily responsible for creating and maintaining consulting data assets and providing analytics to consultants for their projects with external clients. You will also contribute to the production of a selection of our rankings and products, the methodology and the provision of detailed analysis to support internal and external clients. You will be an advisor on related data analytics issues in the business, so the ability to communicate effectively with business stakeholders is paramount. These roles involve working across multiple time zones, different cultures and businesses.
Responsibilities will include (but are not limited to):
- Write and maintain data systems for use by the consulting team, including requirements gathering. You will be supported in building these systems by members of the data team and consulting teams
- Design and produce detailed analyses, visualizations and other presentations of data to provide insight to the consulting team and other internal clients such as the editorial team.
- Assist in presenting complex information to clients
- Analyze complex detailed data such as bibliometrics and produce meaningful insights.
- Assess the quality of the data we have.
- Ensure the quality, validity and applicability of the data collected for the rankings and the final product.
- Identification and deployment of process improvements
- Build knowledge on global higher education and in particular on data reporting practices.
- Support other data science activities such as classification production and analysis.
Education and experience requirements
- Good analytical skills and experience in querying and analyzing data.
- Solid experience in SQL and Excel.
- Solid experience with python, especially pandas.
- Experience gathering requirements for data solutions
- Strong statistical skills.
- Understanding of data collection and management of substantial data sets, as well as data visualization.
- Understand the impact of data quality.
- Experience using real-world data in data science projects.
- Logical thinking and problem-solving ability, innovation in creating solutions.
- Process driven with meticulous attention to detail and experience designing and implementing best practice processes.
- Highly motivated, self-motivated. Ability to work independently as well as in a team.
- Ability to develop excellent working relationships with technical and non-technical colleagues.
- Meeting deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- A degree in mathematics, economics, physics, computer science or other quantitative field. Recent graduates or those interested in getting into data science are encouraged to apply.
Key attributes we look for:
- A passion for creating value from data
- Very logical thinker who can quickly understand the potential of data solutions
- Self-start and finish-finish attitude to handle the work
- Very good verbal and written communication skills in English
- High energy and drive that suits a fast-paced environment
- Working comfort outside rigid structures and frames
- Work effectively in ambiguous environments
THE is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We recognize that we are all different. Great strength comes from different perspectives and experiences. That’s why we’re committed to our mission to create an inclusive culture that empowers our employees to feel empowered to give their all at work. We are proud to be part of the Global Equality Collective and to be a caring employer to help THE achieve this goal.