Data Scientist, Text Analytics Position at UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
- One year full-time term position
- Support researchers from all faculties and disciplines with data science support for projects undertaken by Sydney Informatics Hub
- $97,000 – $106,000 per year + 17% superannuation
About the Opportunity
As the Data Scientist (Text Analytics) At the Sydney Informatics Hub (SIH) Core Research Facility, you will join a team of data scientists and software engineers supporting researchers from all faculties and disciplines through a professional advisory service model that provides advice, analysis and software systems for data-driven research.
You will develop compelling, accessible and reusable demo workbooks and data-driven research case studies as part of the Australian Research Data Commons, Australian Text Analytics Platform (ATAP) project, facilitating self-service training of researchers and research acceleration.
Your main responsibilities will be to:
- report to the head of the group of research engineers
- provide data science support for HIS led projects
- manage the delivery of data science and software engineering projects
- support the identification and dissemination of research opportunities in the university
- work collaboratively with other parts of SIH to build and develop a culture of engineering and entrepreneurship
- contribute to the development and delivery of training by the HIS for the effective use of data science and computational methods
- higher degree in a relevant field, e.g. computer science
- modern data-centric programming language skills, including Python
- experience applying data science, natural language processing, statistical modeling and machine learning methods to a variety of complex data sets
- experience in developing accessible educational materials and documentation through a mix of code and narrative or instructional writing
- teaching experience, such as delivering training workshops or tutoring
- entrepreneurial approach, with excellent interpersonal and relational skills.
Closing date for applications
11:59 p.m., Sunday, April 24, 2022
To keep our community safe, please review our COVID Safety Precautions which constitute our entry requirements for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Sponsorship / work rights for Australia
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. For a continuing position, you must be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or an Australian permanent resident.
Australian temporary residents currently employed at the University of Sydney may be considered for a fixed-term contract for the duration of their visa, depending on hiring area and position requirements.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of any required pre-employment or background checks on terms satisfactory to the University. Likewise, your continued employment is conditional on your satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary action, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a university community that reflects the larger community we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase the participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, people with disabilities, people from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all walks of life.
How to register
Applications (including a cover letter, CV and any additional supporting documents) can be submitted through the Apply button at the top of the page.
If you are a current University employee or a contingent worker with access to Workday, please log in to your Working day account and navigate to the Career icon on your dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable accommodation or support in completing this application, please contact Laura Koefoed, Recruitment Operations, on 02 9036 4495 or email [email protected] sydney.edu.au.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to make any appointments.
Click to view the job description for this role.