Job Opening: Cleveland Guardians Software Engineer, Data Scientist
Department: Baseball research and development
The Cleveland Guardians Baseball Research and Development (R&D) group seeks data scientists at various levels of experience, including senior, entry-level, and intern/fellow. Previous sports experience is not necessary if you are curious or interested in learning more about the applications of data science in baseball.
If you love tackling tough problems, using interesting real data, collaborating with smart people, and having a direct impact on what happens on the baseball field and in our business, this might be the opportunity. for you !
Individuals in this position will use statistical and machine learning techniques to better understand and quantify the game of baseball. You will analyze video, player tracking and biomechanical data as well as traditional baseball data sources such as box scores to help us acquire and develop baseball players into a championship caliber team. You’ll work alongside the other R&D, Data Engineering, and IT groups, and interact with coaches, scouts, and executives across the organization.
The Cleveland Guardians prefer that our employees (or teammates) reside in Cleveland, Ohio, but we will consider and discuss the possibility of remote work.
If you meet some of the qualifications below, we encourage you to apply or contact us for more information. We know that historically marginalized groups – including people of color, women, people from working class backgrounds, and people who identify as LGBTQ – are less likely to apply unless and until they meet all job requirements. We encourage you to contact us if you have any questions about the position or your qualifications. We are happy to help you feel ready to apply!
- Design, build, test, and deploy statistical and/or machine learning models to support all facets of baseball operations, including scouting, player development, and the major league team.
- Explain the methods, results and corresponding actionable information to the main stakeholders of the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in a quantitative field such as statistics, computer science, economics, machine learning, or operations research.
- Demonstrated understanding of statistics and related quantitative methods, including trade-offs between different techniques.
- Demonstrated experience delivering statistics and/or machine learning projects from start to finish.
- Demonstrated experience working with large data sets in a programming language such as R or Python.
- Desire to learn more about the applications of data science in baseball. Previous experience with baseball data is a plus but not required.
- Advanced degree or equivalent experience in a quantitative field such as statistics, computer science, economics, machine learning or operations research.
- Demonstrated research experience in a sports context (baseball is a plus).
- Demonstrated experience with a database language such as SQL.
- Demonstrated experience with deep learning frameworks such as Tensorflow or PyTorch.
- Demonstrated experience with computer vision.
- Demonstrated experience working with high dimensional spatio-temporal data.
- Demonstrated experience with Bayesian statistics.
- Represent the Cleveland Guardians positively to all business partners and the general public.
- Ability to develop and maintain successful working relationships with Front Office members.
- Ability to act according to organizational values and service excellence at all times.
- Ability to work with multicultural populations and to commit to equity and equality.
- Ability to work in a diverse and changing environment.
Our teammates are at the heart of what we believe in: people, collaboration, learning and excellence (PeopleCLE). We seek to hire people who are committed to our goal of uniting and inspiring our city through the power of the team. Our mission is to win the World Series while creating a compelling fan experience.
We believe that we will achieve our goals by making decisions based on evidence and models and by creating environments that support our employees and enable them to continuously learn. This role could be for you if you are looking to join a team that works together to learn new ways to make model-based decisions that lead to great results.
We also pride ourselves on creating an attractive work environment highlighted by a healthy work-life balance, exceptional benefits such as health, vision and dental coverage, and a competitive 401k plan with employer contribution and matching. .
Our hiring process
- A short questionnaire of three questions to help us get to know you better than we only do from your application. No coding involved.
- Two phone calls of approximately 30 minutes.
- A longer take-home questionnaire to help us learn how you solve problems. No coding or project involved.
- A final round of interviews with our R&D department as well as Baseball Operations teammates.
To apply, please follow this link.
Department: Baseball systems
Type of employment: Full time, exempt
The Cleveland Guardians are looking for a Software Engineer to join their Baseball Systems Engineering team. In this role, you will have the opportunity to be exposed to a variety of tasks – including but not limited to software engineering, data warehousing, and UX/UI design and development – which have a direct impact on the organization’s ability to acquire, develop, and deploy players. Depending on your preferences, we will work with you to create a position that specializes in one of these areas or allows you to contribute to multiple areas. The software and data products you help create will facilitate operations and improve decision-making in all areas of the organization, helping to answer questions such as “what jobs should we perform”, “who should select us with our next draft pick,” and “how can we show players their data from yesterday’s match? The position offers the opportunity to collaborate and help craft innovative solutions to difficult problems. , to grow from both an engineering and leadership perspective, and to work with teammates side-by-side in pursuit of the organization’s ultimate mission: to win the World Series.
As a Software Engineer with the Cleveland Guardians, you will have the opportunity to:
From a front-end engineering perspective…
- Learn from experienced engineers and work in a modern web stack, using Vue, Node, Nest, D3, etc.
- Work closely with your product team to uncover competitive advantages in player acquisition and development, and create interactive software and web pages to realize those advantages.
- Identify inefficiencies in our users’ processes that can only be resolved with user-friendly software
- Quickly prototype new/innovative solutions and demonstrate them to your product team, end users, and baseball operations management
- Contribute to the holistic design process and help shape the way we work in the future
- Have regular opportunities to engage with and learn from our Baseball Operations leadership group
From a back-end engineering perspective…
- Build robust data systems that enhance the backbone of our data-driven applications
- Transform internal and external data sources into our central data warehouse
- Work closely with your product team and other software engineers to determine technical requirements and translate them into accessible and secure data endpoints (e.g. direct SQL, BI tools, REST)
- Collaborate with our R&D team to help bring statistical/machine learning models to production
- Collaborate with our infrastructure team to troubleshoot/improve query performance and costs in cloud and on-premises environments
- Actively participate in the identification, evolution and evangelization of data engineering best practices, constantly challenging the status quo and improving our data engineering standards
Necessary basic requirements, you should have:
- Demonstrated experience or degree in a field such as computer science or another STEM program
- Demonstrated experience writing user-facing application code
- A proven ability to work under tight deadlines and iterate quickly
- Effective communication skills and ability to collaborate within a cross-functional team
- A desire to learn and grow not only as a programmer, but also as a person
- A passion for baseball/sports or a desire to learn more about the game
- Represents the Cleveland Guardians positively to all business partners and the general public
- Ability to develop and maintain successful working relationships with Front Office members
- Ability to act in accordance with organizational values and service excellence at all times
- Ability to work with multicultural populations and to commit to equity and equality
- Ability to work in a diverse and changing environment
At Baseball Operations and Baseball Systems, our common goal is to identify and develop diverse front office players and teammates who contribute to our mission. By working together effectively and collaboratively, we create a family atmosphere that fosters learning as we strive for excellence in all that we do. We believe we will achieve our goals by making evidence-based decisions and creating environments that support our people and allow them to learn.
We know that people from historically marginalized groups and those who have not yet had direct experience in the sports industry are less likely to apply for a job unless they meet all the requirements. That being said, we encourage anyone who meets some of the above qualifications to apply or contact us for more information.
The Cleveland Guardians are an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, please follow this link.
The content of this publication was created and provided solely by the Cleveland Guardians.