Junior Data Scientist job at TIMES HIGHER EDUCATION
Junior Data Scientist
Department: Times Higher Education
Status: Full time
Location: London (1-2 days a week) and virtual
Reports to: Senior Data Scientist
The World University Insights Ltd, publisher of Times Higher Education, is the data provider that underpins academic excellence on every continent of the world. As the company behind the world’s most influential university rankings, and with five decades of experience as a source of analysis and insight into higher education, we have unrivaled expertise on the trends that underpin university performance globally. Our data and benchmarking tools are used by many of the world’s most prestigious universities to help them achieve their strategic goals.
This is a great opportunity to help deliver on our ambitious growth plans by creating analytics to support our rankings, advice, products, editorials and events. You will create and run leaderboards, create new data products, and ensure solutions are well-designed, all in a dynamic environment. You will have access to subject matter experts across the organization. The successful candidate will have the aptitude and attitude to take on this role.
For more information about Times Higher Education, please visit www.timeshighereducation.com
Key Duties and Responsibilities
THE is looking for a full-time Junior Data Scientist who wants to roll up their sleeves and help create analytics solutions; they will help deliver our suite of rankings and products and support the roadmap for strategic data projects.
Reporting to a Senior Data Scientist, you will be responsible for producing a selection of our rankings and products, developing methodology and providing detailed analytics to support internal and external clients. . You will act as an advisor on related data analytics issues across the business, so the ability to communicate effectively with business stakeholders is paramount. Whilst working primarily with colleagues in the UK, it also involves working across different time zones, cultures and companies. You will also need to undertake research into new datasets, analytics and tools to support business growth.
Responsibilities will include (but are not limited to):
- Consultation with data providers to design datasets and feed into the development of products and services.
- Research and development of new analytics for derivative products, additional rankings and data products.
- Work closely with the World University Rankings consulting, editorial and product development teams to deploy these analytics and features for new products and services.
- Wrote code to calculate rankings and associated outputs from various input sources.
- Evaluate the quality of the data provided to us.
- Design and produce visualizations and other presentations of data to provide insight to THE editorial team and other clients.
- Ensure the quality, validity and applicability of the data collected for the rankings and the final product.
- Work with the team to identify and deploy process improvements.
- Keep abreast of current educational trends, practices, developments and regulatory changes that may impact how data is presented, captured or interpreted.
Education and experience requirements
- Excellent analytical skills and experience in querying and analyzing data.
- Excellent knowledge of SQL and Python (especially NumPy, Pandas and SciPy).
- Solid knowledge of Excel.
- Strong statistical skills.
- Data visualization experience (Plotly, Matplotlib).
- Experience in data collection, management of substantial data sets and data quality assessment.
- Logical thinking and problem-solving ability, innovation in creating solutions.
- Process driven with meticulous attention to detail and experience designing and implementing best practice processes.
- Highly motivated, self-motivated. Ability to work independently as well as in a team.
- Clear understanding of business objectives and overall data strategy, as well as customer requirements.
- Ability to develop excellent working relationships and work closely with data processors from different departments with the ability to relate to a wide range of personalities, abilities and cultures.
- Meeting deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- A degree in mathematics, economics, physics, computer science or another quantitative field.
- Knowledge of the higher education or publishing sector would be a plus.
Key attributes we look for:
- A passion for creating value from data
- Very logical thinker who can quickly understand the potential of data solutions
- Self-start and finish-finish attitude for work management
- Very good verbal and written communication skills in English
- High energy and drive that suits a fast-paced environment
- Working comfort outside rigid structures and frames
- Work effectively in ambiguous environments
The World University Insights Ltd relies on the flexibility of its staff to ensure continued high standards and performance, as such this job description is only intended to be a guide to the tasks most regularly performed, it does not not part of the employment contract and is subject to change and modification as needed.