training ground guru | Data scientist
Type: Full time – Fixed term contract (12 months).
Passport / Visa: Must be eligible to work in UK.
An exciting opportunity has become available at Watford Football Club, working with the first team, reporting to the first team analysis department. We are looking to recruit a forward-thinking and proactive Data Scientist to deliver innovative solutions and actionable insights to help the Club unleash the full potential of data to make evidence-based decisions.
You will work collaboratively with all football departments to apply data science techniques, deploy innovative applications and ultimately make evidence-based decisions regarding first team, recruiting, development and player performance.
You will play a key role in designing, building and applying statistical and machine learning models that will advance our understanding of gamers, the game, accelerating the use of data-driven information through the development of visualizations and the deployment of interactive tools at the football club.
Applicants will need to be flexible to the job and company requirements and ideally should live near London Colney or surrounding areas and be a UK or non-UK resident with a valid UK work permit and ideally have work experience in a similar field. role.
You must have:
- Experience working and obtaining information from data (preferably in elite sports).
- Proficiency in a programming language for statistical computation such as Python, HTML or R.
- Studied a degree in computer science, statistics, physics, applied mathematics, engineering, economics, data science or an equivalent degree.
- Experience working with data visualization and analysis tools, such as Tableau, Power bi, and Alteryx.
- Experience in managing large datasets with MySQL, SQL Server or Oracle.
- Understanding of basic statistics, algorithms, machine learning modeling techniques and predictive models.
- Full UK driving license or ability to travel to various locations due to job requirements
- Understanding of the club’s commitment to EDI and protection.
Ideally, but not essential, you would have:
- Master in Computer Science, Statistics, Physics, Applied Mathematics, Engineering, Economics, Data Science or equivalent degree.
- Accredited coaching qualifications with an understanding of football tactics and performance and / or equivalent experience working in a football setting.
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI): We are committed to fostering a diverse and dynamic work environment by building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
- Backup: We provide a safe and secure environment for everyone. We believe that safeguarding and promoting the well-being of children and adults is everyone’s responsibility. Everyone in the organization has a role to play in ensuring that club protection policies, procedures and practices are followed.
HOW TO REGISTER
1. Please download and complete an application form located HERE
2. Please send the completed application form / cover letter explaining why you would qualify for the post / a copy of all relevant qualifications / the right to work in UK / and your CV by email to hradmin @ watfordfc.com or by mail to Admin RH, Watford Football Club, Vicarage Road Stadium, Watford, Hertfordshire, WD18 0ER.
3. Please note that depending on the role and whether the pre-selected referral request can be taken into account prior to the interview.